Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Training

I have been reading a book called 'To Train Up a Child' I am not finished yet but right after I started I have begun implementing the advice. The results are amazing. For example:

Today we went to the library. I just wanted to dash in and get a video I had reserved, today was the last day I could pick it up. I didn't bother getting out my monstrosity of a double stroller, just put Aaron in the umbrella stroller and asked Henry to stay next to me. He was SO good. Henner wasn't even in the stroller he stayed with me and obeyed perfectly. PERFECTLY, with a good attitude. When we left the library we went to the bank to deposit some checks. After the bank I asked my sons what they wanted for lunch. Austen suggested pancakes. I decided to use the $10 I had just put in the bank to buy them lunch. This is a special treat and very brave of me, if I don't say so myself. One hopelessly insufficient mom and three boys in a sit-down restaurant? I decided to reward them for their excellent behavior the last few days and do it-take them out to lunch at the pancake house. We got pancakes. The boys were so good in the restaurant. And I was calm. And it could have been bad- because at first Austen messed with coffee cups and Aaron didn't have a high chair yet and was getting into stuff. But I prayed that this test of my sons behavior and the training techniques would be a success. I was calm. We got our pancakes and ate and everyone kept being good.

Then when we were leaving and the people who were in the booth across from us stopped me in the parking lot. The woman said how good they were. I said thanks. She said "really they are very well behaved children... and you... you were so calm"
I am thanking God for my boys right now

I have never had anyone tell me that before about them... and me, calm?
wow

I am in awe that they are "working" so well and so quickly. I feel accomplished but more than that I know that something bigger than me is responsible for this positive change. God is. I don't deserve such fast results. I don't deserve these blessings. I am blessed.

1 comment:

Saryanna said...

Don't make up stories just so people will think that you are cool.

Ok- I kid.

You are an amazing mom- I tell everyone that. I also tell them how well behaved my little nephews are.
Yay for a good day and for training! Im very happy for you.