Monday, June 30, 2008

that's what chocolate milk is made of

I took my 3 children out today for the first time in a week since Henry is, as you may know, beginning potty training. Potty training is a perilous time to take a child away from his home toilet so I have been at home with Henry and his potty chair. The time came, however when we had to venture out. Our books were overdue so Library here we come! We went to the library successfully with no accidents so I decided to tempt fate and hit the Walmart of Death (I hate Walmart) since we are COMPLETELY out of milk. At the Walmart of Death I let the kids pick up a chocolate milk if they agreed to behave at our third and final stop, Jiffy Lube. I let them carry the chocolate milk bottles throughout the store and finally opened them once we got into the van and everybody was buckled in. We were just pulling out of the parking lot when Austen took a closer look at his chocolate milk bottle and noticed that there was a cow on it. "MOM!" he exclaimed, "did you know that chocolate milk is made out of cow...nectar!?"

Rewind two or three days:

Austen: "why are there bees on your flowers?"
Me: "bees fly from flower to flower to spread pollen and to gather nectar"
Austen: "what is nectar?"
Me: "nectar is what honey is made out of, it is sweet"

Makes so much more sense when you know that, does it not? Shortly after his remark about "cow... nectar," he realized what he meant and corrected it to "cow milk, chocolate milk is made out of cow milk, but with sugar, it is made out of chocolate candy and you break it up and put it in milk and it has sugar like candy and it tastes good" (Austen is the reigning ruler of the run-on sentence, as you can see)

Loving to watch him figure the stuff out,
Austen's Mom

2 comments:

The Snarky Mommy said...

I love it! I love Austen!

Unknown said...

DUDE I want some chocolate cow nectar :D PLEASE!!